Friday, August 26, 2011

Steve's Snappin' Dogs




I thought it would be fun to start a regular addition to the Blog-

"The Inexpensive, Hopefully-Sometimes-Maybe Healthy, Denver Area, Small Restaurant Review"

The first edition is Steve's Snappin' Dogs, 3525 E. Colfax. I'm starting with my favorite guilty pleasure, hot dogs! I had to check this place out when I saw they featured the Chicago Style Dog. I was skeptical when they had the audacity to offer a Chicago dog that didn't have a poppy seed bun, their wiener wasn't all beef and gasp the heathens used brown spicy mustard not yellow. Well, as the old song goes- "I closed my eyes, I held my breath, I took a ...". To my surprise, it was great!!! The wiener is made by Thumann's- not a Vienna Red Hot all beef dog, but it works with a different consistency and not as salty. I never would have tried brown mustard on a Chicago dog. I must admit, I thought it would be like photo shopping the Mona Lisa. This hot dog tradition can stand a facelift. They are delicious.

They also offer ten other hot dogs including a dog that features bacon (Hey Joel, this place is a half mile away).
I skipped the bacon dog and opted to try the "Bronx Dog". It comes with New York onion sauce, yellow mustard and... yuk, cheddar cheese. Please! Even a Wisconsin cheese head can't put cheese on a hot dog. I ordered it without cheese. It was quite good but no match for the Chicago dog. No surprise- Chicago dogs are better! One last comment, at $3.85 per dog, they qualify as inexpensive for this review. However, it is a little high for hot dogs. They should put some french fries in the wrapper with the hot dog the way a good Chicago deli would.

*I rate Steve's Snappin' Dogs 3 1/2 (e.g. Yum-yums, belly pats, belches) out of 5.

*Send me your best idea for a rating scale. Email to davecomeau33@gmail.com. I'll buy the winner a wiener.

Dave's Busy

No comments:

Post a Comment